Philosophy - somewhat different
We seek to strengthen and further expand our position as a leading, globally operating reinsurance group, delivering profitability that is above the average of the sector.
Profit and value creation are the cornerstones of our sustainable development as an organisation. This is in the best interests of our clients, shareholders, employees and business partners. This means generating profitable growth and to present our share as a solid and attractive investment.
Hannover Re is the "somewhat different reinsurer" with a swift, flexible and undogmatic business approach. We chart our own course through our willingness to perform, our power of innovation and the quality of our services. We do not seek to imitate our competitors, We aspire to be the best option for our business partners when it comes to choosing a reinsurance provider.
Volume is vanity, profit is sanity
- We only grow in segments with attractive profit margins.
- Efficient capital management: diversification and use of hybrid capital, securitisations and retrocessions
- Lean structures, low administrative expense ratio
A no frills, opportunistic player
Our portfolio is well diversified into three large divisions:
- Target markets North America, Germany
- Specialty lines
- Global treaty, catastrophe and facultative reinsurance
Central underwriting combined with local talent is the key to our success.
- Lean, efficient infrastructure
- Cycle management: We only grow our market share in "hard" markets
- Reserve adequacy is No. 1 priority in our risk management
- Distribution predominantly through brokers
- No appetite for acquisitions - our top rating ensures attractive new business
Life and health reinsurance
Our decentralised underwriting approach and risk management secures sophisticated customer relationship management.
The life and health business group organisation was restructured. The following reporting structure replaces the five focus areas (Financial Solutions, New Markets, Bancassurance, Multinationals, Conventional Reinsurance):
- Financial solutions
- Risk solutions
Our clients value us not simply as a financially strong partner but also because of our customer orientation and flexible service.
- Worldwide infrastructure supports market position
- We strive to balance the biometric risks
- We do consider acquisitions but pay no strategic prices
- Ability to differentiate between value-creating and value-destroying clients
- We create win-win situations (don't play zero-sum games)