As an economist you will find exciting entry opportunities at Hannover Re, for example in underwriting or accounting. What your work will involve exactly depends on your profile, interests and sometimes your language skills.
You have the following qualifications:
- A degree, ideally with insurance management, accounting, auditing, trusteeship, taxation, controlling or finance as a specialist subject
- Ideally initial experience in primary and/or reinsurance
- Good numerical and analytical skills
- Enjoy customer contact and contact with colleagues of various nationalities
- Good command of English, further language skills e.g. Spanish or French welcome
- Creativity, communication skills, team spirit and confidence
Underwriting is the insurance of risks by a primary insurer or reinsurer. An underwriter’s tasks include the following:
- Analysis and completion of reinsurance contracts relating to certain countries or sectors
- Checking offers and calculating adequate prices
- Contract negotiations with cedants and/or brokers
- Market analyses and statistical evaluations
- Business customer care, also including worldwide travel
Contract reinsurance (also known as obligatory reinsurance or treaty reinsurance) is the reinsurance of complete primary insurance portfolios or parts of them. In contrast to this, individual risks can be reinsured. Our facultative reinsurance department along with the Direct and Facultative department are responsible for this. Another example is the department Marine, Aviation & Space, UK/Ireland. The former deals mainly with property, liability and energy, whereas the latter deals mainly with transport, space and aviation insurance. Both departments work on a worldwide basis. In addition, there are three market departments which sell reinsurance according to business fields.