If you have graduated in a mathematics-related field or have already gained a few years of professional experience as a mathematician – and in so doing had your interest in stochastics, statistics or mathematical optimisation stimulated – we can offer you a wide range of entry opportunities. Your tasks may include, for example, analysing insurance markets, creating reinsurance solutions, developing actuarial models or calculating premiums. Communication with colleagues and external customers at primary insurance companies as well as with brokers and researchers also forms an integral part of your task profile.
The area, specialist department and role in which you can work will depend on your competencies, interests and in part also on your knowledge of languages.
Risk Management and Actuarial Services
The department Group Risk Management coordinates quantitative and qualitative risk management as well as the actuarial review of reserving for the Hannover Re Group. It deals with the following issues, among others:
- Calculating and checking loss reserves and other payment obligations on the underwriting side using statistical methods
- Estimating the frequency and intensity of natural perils events using simulation models and checking the commensurate reinsurance premiums
- Further development and operation of our stochastic enterprise model (dynamic financial analysis)
- Monitoring qualitative and operational risks as well as risk management requirements
- Risk reporting to the Risk Committee and the Executive Board
Group Quotation Service
This department calculates premiums in worldwide property and casualty reinsurance. Proprietary stochastic actuarial models are developed, optimised and used for this purpose. In some instances the models are made available to Hannover Re's underwriters worldwide and appropriate training activities are provided for staff both virtually and on site.
This department develops tailor-made reinsurance solutions with a focus on balance sheet and results management for customers as well as optimising their cost of capital. Using a mix of mathematical modelling combined with insurance, capital and balance sheet know-how as well as a flair for marketing, the team explores and evaluates relevant customer needs, elaborates and discusses solutions with the customer and negotiates treaties.
In the Life & Health reinsurance business group we offer insurance companies around the world protection for their life, health, annuity and accident portfolios. Property & Casualty reinsurance is centred around all types of risks in property and casualty business. Here, too, we are active on a global scale.
The underwriters are assigned the following tasks, among others, either with a regional focus or with a concentration on certain lines of insurance depending on the particular department:
- Analysing data and insurance markets including regulatory frameworks
- Initiation, needs analysis, pricing and finalisation of reinsurance treaties
- Creating mathematical simulation models and applying statistical methods (including stress tests and risk modelling)
- Conceptual design of customer-specific reinsurance solutions including transfer of product ideas from one market to another
- Supporting and advising customers
Following structured on-boarding we encourage on-the-job development that enables you to grow professionally and personally. In addition, we can offer you a wide range of seminars, job shadowing opportunities, language courses and support for specialist certifications. Last but not least, we offer support – including financial assistance – for your further training to become a certified actuary.
Your Qualifications – Commitment meets Know-how
- Master's degree in mathematics or comparable disciplines, ideally with concentrations in stochastics, statistics, insurance mathematics, mathematical optimisation or data analytics
- Initial experience through internships or jobs, ideally in the financial industry or IT sector, or professional experience already gained in a relevant field
- Interest in economic correlations
- Programming skills are desirable
- Enthusiasm for collaboration and communication with customers and colleagues of various nationalities
- Independent user skills in German and English (at least level B2)
- Team spirit combined with the ability to make decisions