Have you graduated in an economics-related field, such as business administration, political economy or commercial law? If so, you'll find lots of entry opportunities with Hannover Re, including as an underwriter or in the Finance & Accounting department. Or perhaps you've already embarked on your professional life with this academic background and gained several years of experience, in which case we may be able to offer you the chance to make your next career move.
The area, specialist department and role in which you can work will depend on your competencies, interests and in part also on your knowledge of languages.
The term "underwriting" refers to the decision-making process in primary insurance and reinsurance business as to whether a risk is accepted and hence a corresponding contract signed. As an underwriter at Hannover Re, you deal with the following tasks:
- Analysing insurance markets, key financial indicators and legal as well as regulatory frameworks
- Examining reinsurance inquiries from our customers, i.e. other insurance companies, assessing risks and calculating commensurate premiums
- Conceptual design of individual reinsurance solutions
- Negotiating and finalising reinsurance treaties directly with our customers or through brokers
- Customer care including worldwide business travel in some instances
We conduct traditional property and casualty reinsurance business either broken down according to regional criteria, grouping countries together based on language or cultural considerations. Very specific reinsurance products, on the other hand, have been combined into individual lines of business – including for example marine, aviation and space risks or the underwriting of exposed risks such as oil platforms. Worldwide life and health reinsurance business is written in the Life & Health reinsurance business group.
Finance and Accounting
One of our largest and most multifaceted service units, this division assists with all tasks relating to finance and accounting – on both the national and international level with direct contact to customers and corporate departments:
The members of staff in the Technical Accounting & Claims Department teams deal with premium statements as well as claims scrutiny and payments. Given that the structure of this department mirrors that of our underwriting units, foreign language skills are often important along with specialist expertise.
Corporate Accounting is responsible for all accounting matters and collaborates seamlessly with Group Accounting & Consolidation on the preparation of the individual and consolidated financial statements in accordance with (inter)national standards.
Other teams assist our international locations with financial concerns and support M&A activities, attend to issues of taxation and tax compliance or manage the Group-wide accounting system on the technical side.
Other Specialist Departments
Economists with an appropriate study concentration or suitable practical experience can explore further intriguing employment opportunities in other areas such as controlling and corporate development, in internal auditing or in risk management. Descriptions of the various departments can be found online on the careers section of our website.
Following structured on-boarding we encourage on-the-job development that enables you to grow professionally and personally. In addition, we can offer you a wide range of seminars, job shadowing opportunities, language courses and support for specialist certifications. Last but not least, we offer support – including financial assistance – for your further training to become a certified actuary.
Your Qualifications – Commitment meets Know-how
- Degree with mathematical/analytical or financial concentrations
- Initial experience through internships or jobs, ideally with insurance companies or financial services providers, or several years of professional experience in a relevant field
- Good numerical reasoning and capacity for analytical thinking
- Enthusiasm for collaboration and communication with customers and colleagues of various nationalities
- Independent user skills in German and English (at least level B2)
- Interpersonal skills, team spirit and able to make decisions